Kent Wilson and Wilson & Ryan bring over 40 years of European and Bermudian insurance market litigation experience to their role as a Special Counsel Affiliate of BatesCarey LLP. Prior to his affiliation with the firm, Kent was a partner with Peterson & Ross, a founding member of McCullough Campbell & Lane and co-founder of Wilson & Ryan. He has represented insurance clients and litigated disputes from London, to Dublin, to Brazil to every corner of the United States.
Kent has deep involvement in counseling the London insurance market that began with his initial Lloyds broker internship at Stewart Smith Ltd. in London. In the 40 years since, his practice has focused on international insurance and litigation/ arbitration/ADR issues with a heavy concentration in the fields of products liability, petrochemical and pharmaceutical losses, construction failures, CGL, umbrella and reinsurance policy drafting, and admiralty matters.
Kent has acted as lead and co- counsel for London, European and Bermudian insurers in connection with matter such as:
- The Coordinated Asbestos Cases venued in California
- Unocal’s California Catacarb losses arbitrated in London
- The nationwide DuPont Benlate litigation
- The ITT LNG tank ship failures arbitrated at the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration in Paris
- The Koch Industries isobutene pipeline ruptures in Kaufman County, Texas,
- The Sterlington, Louisiana nitromethane plant explosion losses
- The Hess Oil St. Croix refinery distillate desulfurizer explosion litigation
- The Phillips Petroleum polyethylene plant explosion losses in Pasadena, Texas
- The Enron natural gas pipeline explosion in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- The national MTBE and welding rod litigation
- NL Industries’ lead paint litigation
- Hanson Industry’s Coal Tar Pitch litigation
- Monsanto’s PCB coverage litigation
- BOC’s benzene contamination claims
- And a host of pharmaceutical product and medical device coverage matters arising from Elan Chemical’s Tysabri, Johnson & Johnson’s Otho Evra and Propulsid, Wyeth’s Prempro, Bristol Myer’s Stadol, Purdue Pharma’s OxyContin, Hoffmann-LaRoche’s Accutane, American Home Product’s Phenylpropanalomine, Smith & Nephew’s knee prostheses and Zimmer’s Durom Cup hip replacements.
Kent has been a periodic lecturer for the Defense Research Institute and the London Court of International Arbitration and has lectured on dispute resolution mechanisms at the Freshfields L’Institute De Droit Des Affaires de L’Universite-Aix Marseille Annual Symposium. He has also been a contributor to the International Law Journal and the Redfern & Hunter treatise on International Commercial Arbitration.