Millions of people worldwide have had their work lives, personal lives and health unexpectedly turned to chaos by the 2020 coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
As businesses feel the crushing economic and personal weight of the worst pandemic in modern world history, many are looking to their insurers to navigate coverage issues arising from tragic and uncharted claims.
The BatesCarey COVID-19 Team is at the forefront of helping insurers to investigate, analyze and nationally coordinate their responses to these burgeoning claims.
For example, our COVID-19 Team is charting the growing number of lawsuits across the country involving first party, third party, D&O, and coverage claims arising from coronavirus, and we are also working directly with our insurance clients to tackle difficult issues such as:
- Does the decision to clean objects or equipment due to fear of possible virus contamination constitute “property damage” or “loss of use” to trigger insurance coverage?
- How long can this virus live on a particular object, and to what extent are claims handlers expected to know or understand these developing scientific principles in responding to claims?
- What is the legislative and regulatory response of various states to efforts by insurers to enforce the two February 2020 optional coronavirus endorsements introduced by the Insurance Services Office, or the 2006 virus exclusion, CP 01 40 07 06?
- To what extent is coverage available for policyholders accused of intentionally misrepresenting the business impact of their coronavirus liability, misrepresenting their coronavirus preparedness, or failure to enforce their own coronavirus safety policies?
- To what extent is coverage available for cyber losses or hacking that befell companies forced to operate new “e-offices” due to coronavirus, and the shut-down of traditional bricks and mortar operations?
Please feel welcome to browse the below publications from our COVID-19 Team addressing these issues, as well as other resources we have gathered to better understand and explore these emerging topics.
For questions or assistance in handling COVID-19 insurance claims, please contact BatesCarey partners, David Buishas or Nick Novak, or reach out to the team at COVID19@BatesCarey.com.