Climate change risks confronting the insurance industry are real. The more obvious climate change risks are property insurance risks exacerbated by climate change. The insurance industry has devoted considerable effort to model and properly price these property risks. Climate change-induced casualty risks are evolving and potentially present a host of liability and coverage issues.
The BatesCarey team is well-positioned to analyze these emerging climate change risks, defend insurers in climate change coverage disputes and help insurers chart a course through future complex climate change coverage issues.
Managing Climate Change Exposure and Risk
We help insurers respond to potential climate change liability by:
- Assessing corporate exposure for climate change liability in an evolving legal, regulatory and statutory landscape
- Tracking climate change litigation trends to anticipate potential coverage issues
- Reviewing policies for climate change risk exposures to insurers
- Analyzing potential exclusions for climate change insurance liability
- Advising on insurance coverage issues raised by climate change-related exposure
- Representation in litigation proceedings
Our team has decades of experience addressing complex insurance coverage issues throughout the United States, and in the London and Bermuda markets. The developing climate change exposures likely will frame both familiar and new coverage issues. The experience of our attorneys will help insurers navigate climate change exposure and the coverage and technical issues they will present. We have deep experience in state and federal courts across the country – coupled with strong relationships with local counsel – enabling us to work seamlessly across jurisdictions and offer insurers the top-tier service on climate-related challenges.